Masterclass: Surrealism in Eastern European Cinema with Dina Iordanova
NOTE: All tickets sold are refundable (Please read the important notes below)
Many intellectuals from Eastern Europe – like the Polish writer-painter couple Stefan and Franciszka Themerson – were involved with the rise of surrealism in the West after the 1930s. In cinema, surrealism found amazing expressions in the 1960s avant-garde, mainly with the work of Czech master Jan Němec and Slovak Juraj Jakubisko, but also Věra Chytilová, whose feminist classic Daisies is showing at this festival. And it has never disappeared since, finding manifestations in different countries and in different formats – such as in the early films by Yugoslav Emir Kusturica, in the amazing animations by Prague’s Jan Švankmajer, in the dream-like films of Polish master Jan Jakub Kolski, or Hungarian Péter Gárdos. In this talk, Prof. Iordanova will discuss some of these examples and will highlight some of the specific features of surrealism in these lesser-known corners of the European tradition.
Don’t miss out on an exclusive opportunity to participate in an intimate dialogue about surrealism in Eastern European Cinema with world cinema specialist Dina Iordanova on Oct 22.
About Dina Iordanova
Professor Dina Iordanova is the first chair in Film Studies at Scotland’s University of St Andrews in its 600 year-long history. An internationally acclaimed writer, she is best known for her work on Balkan and East European Cinema. In 2014, Iordanova also served as member of the jury at the Busan International Film Festival and she will be the first Western scholar to be invited to teach at the Beijing Film Academy on East European Cinema later this year.
IMPORTANT NOTES – PLEASE READ
• A fully refundable fee of $5 will be charged for each ticket booking. Simply turn up for the event and register with us. Once confirmed, Peatix will refund your booking fee electronically thereafter.
• Seats are issued on a first-come, first-served basis (free seating arrangement).
• Seat reservations will close on 22 October 2016, 3pm. Any cancellations MUST be done BEFORE the ticket cut-off date and time, otherwise your reservations will be locked-in. If you turn up for the event, the booking fee will be refunded. If not, it will be forfeited.
• The refund will be handled by the credit card company of the credit card used to purchase the tickets. The refund process will vary depending on the cut-off date of the credit card.
• Should the refund be done before the credit card cut-off date: The refund process will be handled in the current month so no money will be deducted for ticket payment. In most cases, both the ticket payment and the refund will appear separately on the credit card statement.
• Should the refund process be done after the credit card cut-off date: The payment of the ticket order will be processed. Peatix will refund the amount in the next month through a negative invoice.
Note: Peatix is unable to look up cut-off dates of credit cards. Peatix accepts VISA, MasterCard, Paypal and AMEX.
4:00 PM - 5:30 PM SGT
- *SCAPE Gallery, Level 5
Free Seating (Refundable) SOLD OUT $5.00
- Venue Address
- 2 Orchard Link, Singapore 237978 Singapore
5 min walk from Somerset MRT. From Somerset MRT, head towards Cineleisure. Walk past Cineleisure to enter *SCAPE. Either take the lift or escalator to the 5th floor.
Perspectives Film Festival439 Followers